About The Wesley Diet
The Wesley Diet is a diet we created for our family to live the best life possible in light of Sickle Cell Disease. This diet includes a list of foods we encourage and avoid, in addition to trying to maintain mostly organic alkaline food choices. Some of the most important aspects of our diet include: Alkaline Water, Almond Milk, Liquid Chlorophyll, Vitamins, and Minerals on a daily basis.
Look out for recipes... coming soon!
Foods We Encourage
- Alkaline Water - Alkaline water neutralizes the acidity in the blood stream which increases oxygen levels.
- Almonds - Almonds are rich in B vitamins and help aid in the production of hemoglobin.
- Cassava/African Yam - Cassava and African yams have a chemical compound in them called Thiocyanate, and studies have shown that it has an anti-sickling affect on red blood cells. Thiocyanate is said to help carry oxygen throughout the body.
- Coconut Water - Coconut Water is super hydrating and rich in nutrients. It also contains five essential electrolytes that are present in the body.
- Holy Basil - Holy basil has so many health benefits but the most beneficial ones for sickle cell are the ones I want to highlight. Holy Basil is known to help build immune system, reduce mucus and congestion in the lungs, anti-inflammatory, and helps to reduce fevers.
Foods To Avoid
- Processed Foods - Processed foods are high in artificial ingredients, sugar and fructose but low in nutrients and fiber.
- Alcohol - Alcohol affects the level of oxygen in the blood so don't consume it.
- We also avoid White Sugar and Fried Foods.